Latin Roast Chicken
- 2 tsp ground achiote
- 1 tsp ground chipotle
- 1 tsp pimenton (Spanish paprika)
- 1/4 tsp Coban chili powder
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp crushed oregano
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp marjoram
- 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 3 TBSP canola oil
- 1 whole chicken visible fat removed, rinsed & patted dry
- 2 TBSP lime juice freshly squeezed
- 1 lime cut into 8 wedges
- Combine all the spices in a bowl and mix well. Rub the chicken generously with the spice mix under the breast skin and all over including the cavity alternating with some of the oil to make it easier to coat the chicken fully with the spice mix. Cover with plastic and marinate in the refrigerator for 6 hours or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Put the chicken in a roasting pan on top of a rack, transfer it to the oven and roast it for 20 minutes. Rotate the baking pan 180 degrees. Increase the heat to 375F and roast for another 20 minutes. Increase the heat to 400F and roast for about 5 minutes longer or until a thermometer inserted in the thickest part of the breast reads 175F.
- Drizzle the roast chicken with the lime juice and serve it with the lime wedges, mashed potatoes and a green salad, or shred it and make tacos or sandwiches.
Cobán chile powder is available at select Latin markets and online.